St. John’s is distinguished as a successful Preschool-8 school with a challenging academic program. Our school is committed to educating each student while nurturing, supporting, and encouraging them to be confident independent thinkers and learners. By 8th grade, our graduates are exceptionally prepared for high school and as contributing members of their community and the world around them.
St. John’s Episcopal School in Olney, Maryland, is seeking a full time, 10 month, Middle School Social Studies Teacher for the 2022-23 school year. St. John’s is distinguished as a successful and challenging Preschool-8 school with an accelerated academic program. Faith, honesty, and hard work allow our graduates to soar in high school, college, and beyond. St. John’s does not discriminate against applicants on the basis of sex, religion, national, or ethnic origin.
Summary Description: The successful candidate possesses a thorough understanding of developmentally appropriate
learning experiences for grades 5-8 that are conducive to their intellectual, physical, social
and emotional development. The candidate must be skilled in classroom differentiation and must be able to develop, select, and modify materials to meet the needs of all students, maintaining student interest and providing motivation. The candidate should be able to evaluate student outcomes through a variety of assessment techniques, maintain appropriate records, and follow required procedures and practices. The candidate must be a strong communicator, and be able to interact effectively with students, parents, staff, and community. The candidate must also participate fully in the life of the school, in terms of curricular work and in community activities and functions. Responsibilities:
● Develop and document lesson plans consistent with national standards and grade level curriculum guidelines
● Provide grade appropriate instruction to students in grades 5-8
● Utilize current instructional techniques and strategies that motivate, challenge and engage students of diverse abilities
● Serve as a homeroom teacher and advisor
● Plan field trips and coach Model United Nations club
● Actively supervise students at all times
● Post assignments and resources for each class on the school’s learning management system
● Update electronic grade book weekly
● Respond to all parent communication in a professional, empathetic and timely manner
● Participate in faculty meetings, retreats, school committees and in-service learning opportunities
● Work collaboratively with other teachers, staff and administration
● Integrate technology effectively into instruction.
● Possess strong interpersonal, written, and verbal communication skills
● Self-motivated, problem solver and flexible
● Ability to engage with diverse learning styles and abilities
● Has current and comprehensive knowledge of a variety of teaching
strategies, effective lesson planning, and classroom management techniques
● Proficient with Google, Google Classroom, Zoom, Microsoft Office and other related
● Degree in Elementary or Secondary Education with a concentration in Social Studies
● Current MSDE certification preferred
● Experience teaching on the middle school level preferred
● Experience teaching in an independent school setting preferred
How to Apply / Contact
Salary commensurate with experience. This is a benefit-eligible position. Interested candidates should forward a resume, cover letter, and three references to Ms. Margery Bank, Head of School at Margery.Bank@stjes.org The successful candidate will be required to complete criminal background and employment history checks.
Substitute Teachers Wanted - Preschool through Grade 8.
Qualified applicants require current fingerprinting.
To apply, please send a current resume and three references to the Associate Head, Andrea Rudolph: email@example.com
St. John’s Episcopal School does not discriminate in employment opportunities or practices on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, sexual orientation, or any other characteristic protected by law.